|over 2.2lbs||over 1kg||US$19.99|
|Order over US$150||FREE SHIPPING|
Manufacturer: Zvezda (Russia)
Paint: Unpainted, Unassembled, Kit do not contain paints and glue.
Condition: New in Box
The T-35 was a Soviet multi-turreted heavy tank of the interwar period and earlySecond World War that saw limited production and service with the Red Army. It was the only five-turreted heavy tank in the world to reach production but proved to be slow and mechanically unreliable. Most of the T-35 tanks still operational at the time of Operation Barbarossa were lost due to mechanical failure rather than enemy action.
Outwardly it was large but internally the spaces were cramped with the fighting compartments separated from each other. Some of the turrets obscured the entrance hatches.The T-35 was developed by the OKMO design bureau of the Bolshevik Factory, which began work on a heavy tank in 1930. Two teams developed separate designs. The team headed by German engineer Grotte worked on the 100-ton four-turreted TG-5 tank, armed with a 107 mm naval gun, using pneumatic servo-controls and pneumatic suspension. This project was later cancelled.
The concept of large, multi-turreted breakthrough tanks was favoured by several European armies in the 1920s and 1930s. Designs existed in Britain, France, and Germany for such vehicles. The second OKMO team, headed by N. Tsiets, worked on a tank inspired by the British Vickers A1E1 Independent.
By July 1932, a prototype of a 35 ton tank with a 76.2 mm tank gun was completed. The first prototype was further enhanced with four smaller turrets, two with 37 mm guns and two with machine guns. This first prototype had severe defects in its transmission and was considered too complex and expensive for mass production. Therefore work on it was stopped and a new simpler prototype was built.
This new prototype received a new engine, new gearbox and improved transmission. The decision was also made to standardise the turrets used on the T-35 with those employed on the T-28, a triple-turreted medium tank. The small machine-gun turrets were identical on the two tanks. The large main turret housing the 76.2 mm gun was nearly identical, but those used on the T-28 had an additional, rear-firing machine gun.In each of the two diagonally-mounted (i.e., one in the right forward quarter and another in the diagonally-opposite left rear quarter, as viewed from behind) two-seater turrets was placed one 45mm tank cannon obr.1932 and a coaxially-mounted 7.62mm DT machine gun. Later this cannon was replaced with a 45mm gun of the 20k Model 1934 with a semi-automatic breech-block. The coupled setting had vertical training (aiming) limits of - 8° to +23°. The front turret weapon had a horizontal field of fire from 19° (left of the turret's centerline) to -184° (rearwards). The two smaller turrets were single-seat and had one 7.62mm DT machine gun apiece. The horizontal training (aiming) of these weapons was carried out through the turning of a hand mechanism
The main and the two small machine gun turrets of the Т-35 and Т-28 had a high level of standardization. Main-weapon sighting utilized the telescopic breech-sight TOP obr.1930 and the periscope breech-sight PT-1 обр.1932. The 76.2mm cannon had 96 rounds, the 45mm guns had 226 rounds, and the DT machine guns had 10,080 cartridges. The 50-ton tank was designed with the maximum thickness of the body's armoured plates being 30mm and that of the turret 20mm. The armoured plates were coupled together by welding and riveting. In 1936 the thickness of the frontal, sloping body plate and the front plate protecting the driver-mechanic was increased to 50mm. Armored side skirts also added 10mm to the side armor covering the tracks.The T-35 served with the 5th Separate Heavy Tank Brigade in Moscow, primarily for parade duties, from 1935 until 1940. In June 1940, the question was raised whether to withdraw the T-35s from frontline service, with the option to either convert them to heavy self-propelled artillery, or to assign them to the various military academies. The choice was made to use them up in combat instead and the surviving vehicles were collected together into the 67th and 68th Tank Regiments of the 34th Tank Division, which served with the 8th Mechanized Corps in the Kiev Special Military District.
A T-35 in Red Square, 1 May 1935
|Place of origin||Soviet Union|
|Used by||Soviet Union|
|Wars||World War II|
|Designer||OKMO Tank Design Bureau|
|76.2 mm gun model 27/32|
|2 × 45 mm 20k guns, 5 or 6 × 7.62 mm DT machine guns|
|Engine||12-cyl. petrol Mikulin M-17M
500 hp (370 kW)
|Kliment Voroshilov KV-2 Soviet heavy tank 1/100 Zvezda 6202|
|Price : $7.95|
|Soviet main battle tank T-72B 1/100 Zvezda 7400|
|Price : $9.95|